Saturday, June 11, 2011

Lovely Liberty

I bought a bag of Liberty Tana lawn scraps from Ebay a couple of years ago for the princely sum of £3 and started to make a quilt – of course there wasn’t enough so I bought some other bits of Liberty and when I had finished my quilt I had a bigger bag of scraps than when I started.  
Then came the wedding in September, “aah” I thought, I can use the scraps to make a marriage quilt for the lovely couple.     Not having a long time it has to be a simple quilt so I have chosen to make a “Grandmother’s Garden”; simple but hand sewn so very time consuming.  
Starting with the hexagons; this is the place to go to print off hexagons of any size for paper piecing http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/hexagonal/   - mine are 3cm.
Cut a lot of hexagons paper pieces and then fabric hexagons with a quarter inch seam, like this...

The scraps are a right mixture – can anybody name all the patterns – so I chose a cream fabric to bring them all together.


Then I made one of these…….

…..and then two of these …..

……and some more of these…….

…. and then start sewing them together like this.

So far so good but a long way to go yet.   I have three months to get it finished, it must be possible.  Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment